Sometimes to be able to define what something is, you have to list what it is not. Today is about facing the “am nots”. The journey to defining yourself for who you are begins with proclaiming what you are not.
Here is what I am not today:
1. I am not a model on the cover of a magazine. Nor will I ever be a model on the cover of a magazine. My value and worth does not come from photoshop. My beauty is not affirmed by the number of subscriptions people buy of my face.
2. I am not a perfectly-toned, clear-skinned, bone-thin cast member of the O.C. And that is ok. The minute I become a perfectly-toned, clear-skinned, bone-thin cast member of the O.C., I will have ceased to be me.
3. I am not a slave to the food on my plate. Food does not define me. A piece of cake or a bag of chips does not dictate my mood, ruin my day, or cause turmoil in my mind. It is just food, and I will continue to look at it as such until it gets up, walks, and tells me otherwise.
4. I am not the “best”. I come in second place. Sometimes lower than that. I don’t have to prove my beauty, value or worth by being the best at everything. It is tiresome, draining, and just plain pointless. There is always someone better than me. But on the bright side- there is also somebody worse. 🙂
5. I am not “drop dead gorgeous”. Men do not pause and “reflect” on my beauty. People do not stand in line and hold up round numbers as I pass by. I am not voted on by a scale of one to ten. I am not a 10, and I am thankful I am not a 10. At least on a good day.
6. I am not my eating disorder. I am me, apart from Ed. Somewhere along the way, the line got cloudy, and our persons merged. Not anymore. Today I stand alone, just me.
7. I am not defined by the mirror. There are so many other things that define me. Like my love for writing, my passion for hurting girls, my fervor to speak truth, my love of Starbucks, my quiet yet outgoing personality…
8. I am not a follower. I refuse to follow the trend. I will not partake in the latest diet, fashion or “look” just because everyone else is doing it.
9. I am not who you say I am. I am who God says I am- nothing more, nothing less. He defines me, not the world and it’s opinion.
10. I am not People’s magazine Most Beautiful girl of the year…and I am perfectly and totally okay with that today.
Face what you are not today. Look to Christ. Find out what you are. And don’t let anyone else’s definition define you.
Verse: “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” (Ephesians 2:10)
P.S. If you haven’t already, check out the Project Change Beauty tab above! It’s all about the upcoming website.